[MEncoder-users] Better mp4 container support being worked on?

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Wed Apr 30 15:50:51 CEST 2008

Hi guys

anybody knowing whether better libavformat, especially mp4, muxing
support is being worked on? Right now it seems to be pretty much
broken ...

I know the docs says mencoder was built around avi, but I guess muxing
into more advanced containers (mp4,mkv) is something quite some people
would love being able to.

Reason I ask is that I use mencoder for tv grabbing and would very
much like to encode the stream into AVC/AAC. Putting that into an avi
file obviously doesn't make much sense. And muxing into mp4 even
without using bframes or any advanced x264 settings gives invalid
files right now.

If I could find another cmdline app which did grabbing that well as
mencoder I wouldn't ask, but it's just so good at it - and many other
things - that those format constraints really become a severely
limiting factor.

Thanks, Bruno.