[MEncoder-users] framerate denominator and numerator got much bigger after encoding

JRaSH jrash06 at 163.com
Wed Apr 23 16:19:00 CEST 2008

Corey Hickey wrote:
> RC wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:06:38 +0800
>> JRaSH <jrash06 at 163.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Could anyone tell me how I can control the behaviour of MEncoder so
>>> that the denominator and numerator will stay the same as the source?
>>>
>> There is no numerator or denominator.  There is only a single frame-rate
>> value stored in the file.  There are millions of possible different ways
>> to represent that number it, for the sake of humans.
>>

> To the original poster: what values are you seeing? Run "mplayer -v
> outputfile.avi" and look for a block like this:
>

> ====== STREAM Header =====
> Type: vids   FCC: xvid (64697678)
> Flags: 0
> InitialFrames: 0
> Rate: 24000/1001 = 23.976           <---------look at this line
> Start: 0   Len: 83093
> Suggested BufferSize: 108990
> Quality 10000
> Sample size: 0
> ==========================

Interestingly, I tried your way to check the header, and it turned out
to be right!!!

My way to check the dominator was writing a avs script like:

a=directshowsource("encoded.avi")
messageclip(string(a.FramerateNumerator)+" "+string(a.FramerateDenominator))

and then when this avs was played, it showed a message: "52484375
2189038", which means the numerator is 52484375, and the dominator
2189038. Obviously, it is avisynthis that has a bug not mencoder.

Thank you for your advice.

JRaSH