[MEncoder-users] Users uploaded videos...

Nicolas Vekemans nv at ipernity.com
Tue Apr 15 14:58:29 CEST 2008

        Hi,

        I have to implement/optimize video uploads from users and
        trans-code
        them to flv (basically like youtube does).
        I have to handle all sorts of videos: 3gp, asf, avi, flv, mkv,
        mov, mp4,
        mpg, ogm, rm, wmv...

        1. After reading the mailing-list archives, I seem to understand
        that
        you have basically to choose between ffmpeg (for "quality") and
        mencoder
        (for codecs quantity)...
        So, am I "stuck" with mencoder (since I need to handle many
        codecs)?

        2. Are there any well-known good packages (fully optimized with
        maximum
        supported codecs, rpm if possible) or do I have to compile from
        source?

        3. Is it possible to have one set of mencoder parameters that
        would work
        for any type of video or do I need to add/remove some specific
        ones for
        some specific formats?  If it is possible, what would the
        parameters be
        (apart from resizing, etc)?

        4. I also read about a "B frames problem" with h264 that would
        only work
        with ffmpeg... While I know that I am on the mencoder list, does
        anyone
        know an application that could handle "B frames" and most
        codecs.

        5. If you have any advices/links, I would be very grateful.  I
        tried to
        google some articles/tutorials but did not find much...

        Thanks,
        Nicolas.