[MEncoder-users] x264 Quicktime Blank first frame

Jonathan Knight jonathan at jrlknight.com
Tue Apr 15 12:31:24 CEST 2008

I am encoding pngs using mencoder and x264. I output an h264 file and
then mux it into an mp4 container using either MP4Box or mp4creator. I
can create quicktime compatible files, however the first frame of the
file is not shown in the quicktime player. Until I press play, I only
get a black screen.

I am using the following x264 options

-x264encopts bitrate=900:bframes=1:me=umh:partitions=all:trellis=1:
qp_step=4:qcomp=0.7:
direct_pred=auto:keyint=300:threads=auto

Has anyone else come across this, and is there anything I can do to make
the first frame show when quicktime loads the file ?