[MEncoder-users] Stopping mencoder from stream seeking (was: Using MEncoder with TySuiteJ)

Phil Combs phillip.combs at wright.edu
Mon Apr 14 01:39:54 CEST 2008

On Mon Apr 7 19:10:51 CEST 2008, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>Format autodetect in general does not (and for MPEG in particular that
>is almost a "can not") work right without seeking.
>Two solutions: make seeking work by using a large cache, e.g.
>cache 10240 or specify the format, e.g. -demuxer mpegpes

>And btw.:

>It is usually considered good style, esp. on mailing lists, to arrange
>the signature so it does not take up much more than 4 lines.

Reimar--

I've added the two switches as suggested but they have not helped.

Here's the line I use from a DOS prompt, which works successfully:
*****
"c:\Program Files\tysuitej\mencoder\mencoder" "morning express.mpg" -o
me.mpg -noskip -demuxer mpegpes -cache 10800 -oac copy -ovc lavc -of
mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf crop,scale=720:480:1,harddup -lavcopts
acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9696:vbitrate
=5731:keyint=18:ildct:ilme:top=0:mbd=2:trell:vpass=1 -ofps 30000/1001 >
error.txt
*****

Putting that line into TySuiteJ (with a few format changes specific to
that program) just won't work. The program starts encoding, gets ~4MB
in and freezes.  I can up the cache amount to a ridiculous amount (eg.
308,000) and the file will completely process but nothing gets written
to disk until I abort the program; when I do the file is unplayable as
(I believe) something doesn't close properly and the file format
probably gets corrupted.

The error.txt file that gets written through TySuiteJ gives the
following):

*****
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s.
Increasing audio density to 4.
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!

Skipping frame!
*****

I've deduced through reading other online posts that the video_out
device error is common.  It's probably a hook into mplayer as it's
expecting an output device to be defined (which we're not doings as the
output is a DVD-compatible file, not a video card).  The same with the
New_Face error.  The funny thing is that it says frames are skipped but
I've tld the program not to do that.

At this point I'm stumped.  The program author has given a little
feedback but has no more ideas.  What can I try from here?