[MEncoder-users] Volnorm

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 13 00:15:35 CEST 2008

When encoding a DVD to some other format, I often use -af volnorm=1 to
bring up the volume of the audio. A problem I am having with it,
however, is that if the movie's audio starts out quietly and builds very
gradually, the volume jumps quite suddenly from one value to the next,
leaving the opening of the movie with these abrupt audio level changes.
Is there a more graceful way to achieve the same result (automatically
scaling the volume of the source file) within Mencoder or is this it?

Example movies that exhibit this behavior: There Will Be Blood, Corpse
Bride. Both start out very quietly and build the music gradually, but
Mencoder keeps the audio soft and then suddenly the volume jumps up to a
louder value.