[MEncoder-users] avi sync questions

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 7 16:01:43 CEST 2008

Erik Slagter wrote:
> In case of a movie that was shot with a sensor of a certain
> resolution, you'd really want to have that dot-for-dot on your digital
> screen if possible. On a CRT it would matter less.

Except, of course, that DVD resolution has no dot-for-dot relationship
with any display device on the market. The image is *always* scaled in
one direction or another. My personal preference is to maintain the
height information and expand the width to preserve as much information
as possible--essentially I am always scaling up to 848x480 from 720x480
rather than down to 720x400, which loses information.