[MEncoder-users] mp4 audio slipping when played back in Quicktime

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Sun Apr 6 12:44:19 CEST 2008

Bram wrote:

>> I that case I'd recommend encoding the audio and video streams
>> separately and hand these to mp4box (gpac). Mp4box cannot handle h264 in
>> avi... (which is the reason I do not use mencoder to encode to h264 in
>> the first place)
>>
> I'd like to jump in here for a sec.. how would you go about and encode
> both audio and video as separate streams using just mencoder? I couldn't
> figure out how to get mencoder to just encode audio, for instance.

You may very well be right here. At the moment I am more into ffmpeg and
mplayer (!) for transcoding purposes.

At least, indeed, it's not possible to have mencoder output raw audio
and raw video streams at the same time.

It may be that mencoder also cannot output audio only, but isn't that
work-around-able by specifying null video output somewhere?

The final workaround which most certainly will work is to have mencoder
encapsulate in avi and then demux that avi using ffmpeg ;-)

Anyway, if you only want to transcode audio, I think ffmpeg is a better
option anyway. Also if you're transcoding from pcm(wav) to aac, I'd
rather use the faac program directly (until ffmpeg has a native aac
encoder).