[MEncoder-users] Mencoder soft telecine broken; fix included

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Sep 30 23:25:27 CEST 2007

On 9/30/07, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
>
> > Oh, I should mention-- I'm *not* using a recent copy of mplayer due
> > to 32/64 bit issues, I let someone else deal with the crosscompile
> > for me :-)
> >
> > deep-space-bananafish:~/g/57> mplayer32 --version
> > MPlayer 2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu8 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
>
> That's... significantly old. Its behaviour in any specific context
> cannot safely be assumed to be anywhere near the same as the current
> development version, or even the most recent release. For anyone using a
> recent version, your reports based on this old version are in all
> probability effectively useless.

*I* am not reporting anything.  Someone else is reporting a problem. I
mentioned the age for a good reason, that is, 'evidence suggests it
used to work, and something specific broke it.'

And no, thanks, I don't feel like upgrading to a known broken version.

>> Unknown option on the command line: --version
>>
>> (and yet, it printed the version like I asked :-)
>
>That's because the version is part of the banner, which gets printed
>automatically unless the MPLAYER_VERBOSE environment variable is set in
>such a way as to prevent it.
>
>MPlayer does not use '--foo' options, anyway; if there even were such an
>option, it would be '-version'. As it happens, there is not, because
>there is no need for it.

Here on the Internets, that ':-)' meant it was a joke.

Monty