[MEncoder-users] Changing frames per second

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:03:08 CEST 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:13:08 +0100
"Ross Clement" <rossclement at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've searched through the MPlayer html docs, and can't find anything
> about how frame rate conversions are done. Though I notice the
> frequent "skipping frame" output while encoding. So I presume that the
> conversion hard-drops frames.

That's about all there is to it.  If the -ofps is higher, duplicate
frames are added.  If the -ofps is lower, frames are skipped.  Not much
to know.

> Can anyone tell me how frame rates are converted? And are there any
> higher quality techniques built into mencoder that I could use that
> might achieve a higher quality result?

There aren't any higher quality framerate conversion techiques in
MPlayer, or anywhere else for that matter.   Converting from 30 to 25
just means dropping frames (or lots of blurring to try and merge them).