[MEncoder-users] Performance on multi core machines - a specific enquiry re avisynth mt input

Michael Rozdoba mroz at ukgateway.net
Sun Sep 30 00:32:37 CEST 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 07:34:28PM +0100, Michael Rozdoba wrote:
>> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> [...]
>>> uses the script via the AVS
>>> "Import" command or the "ConvertToYV12" it appends if necessary.
>> There's no ConvertToYV12 & such conversions aren't the problem (they
>> don't cause this issue in VDub.
>
> They are involved. MPlayer uses avs scripts by (more or less) generation
> in memory another avs file with e.g. this content
> Import <your-original-avs-file>
> ConvertToYV12

Ah, now I understand. Sorry & thanks. That makes sense. This is just the
info I was after...

> Since the MT documentation says it must be the first statement in the
> file I'd guess it does not work like this.
> You can easily test by creating such an avs file and see if VirtualDub
> is also slow with it.

Quite. This seems very promising & would be easy to workaround with a
patch to the source...

/Checks

Damn it. I was sure you'd be right. No, VDub can still proceed at 11fps
100% cpu, when fed with a script that redirects to my original via an
Import(). I even tried appending a convert to see if avisynth was
somehow optimising away the import in the simpler one line case. No luck.

Thanks for the info & suggestions though.

Anything else that can be tried my end? I'm willing to set up a build
environment if necessary to try some code patches. Does MEncoder build
reasonably straightforwardly under Cygwin, afayk?

--
Michael Rozdoba