[MEncoder-users] Authoring for DVD - qpel?

Ross Clement rossclement at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 19:33:02 CEST 2007

Dear all.

I'm slowly trying to work out what all the options do.

A lot of the source material I'm dealing with (AKA my "home movies") was
taken with a hand-held video camera, sometimes while moving. I would guess
(please correct me if I'm wrong) that motion compensation will improve
encoding quality considerably.

>From poking through the docs, it seems that "qpel" is the lavc option I
should try. My current plan is to go back and re-do some encodes using this
option and see if the result looks better at the same bit rate.

Are there any more sophisticated experiments I should try (e.g. varying
other parameters related to motion compensation)?