[MEncoder-users] Performance on multi core machines - a specific enquiry re avisynth mt input

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 29 17:07:31 CEST 2007

Michael Rozdoba wrote:
> Aside: How would I replicate the avisynth script I posted using just
> MEncoder?
>
> Thanks for the feedback
Honestly, I don't know what half of that stuff in the AVISynth script is
about, but there is a comment line in there about cleaning up a
"blocky/noisy" mpeg2 source. That sounds like a job for the hqdn3d
filter (high quality denoise 3d). This filters image noise in both
spacial and temporal domains. There are also horizontal and vertical
deblocking filters (pp=hb,pp=vb). pp=de will give you a default
deblock/dering filter set.

I've no idea what kind of output file you are trying to create, so this
example just uses default settings for lavc encoders. You can get much
better results by reading the manual and following the examples. (for
example, by specifying the codecs you want to use, codec options to
optimize size/quality how many CPU threads to use, etc.):

mencoder INPUT -vf pp=de,hqdn3d -oac lavc -ovc lavc -ffourcc DIVX -of
avi -o OUTPUT