[MEncoder-users] Adding harddup as an afterthought?

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Sep 28 16:33:54 CEST 2007

On 9/26/07, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:46:34AM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > On 9/26/07, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have several video files encoded with
> > >
> > >   set video_filter=-ofps 24000/1001 -vf pullup,softskip
> > >
> > > As I discovered, my hardware player (Philips DVP5982) does not like
> > > them (it shows a mess for a frame or two about the time the
> > > "duplicated-as-0" frame is added).  When doing
> > >
> > >   set video_filter=-ofps 24000/1001 -vf pullup,softskip,harddup
> > >
> > > everything is fine.  Is there a possibility to "add harddup" to an avi
> > > file WITHOUT re-encoding?  Or at least with re-encoding only chunks
> > > where duplicated-as-0 frames are nearby?

If the harddup was forgotten and all the pullup frames you added were
cleanly dropped (resulting in the pullup being a noop) or you have the
original before doing the pullup, you could *remux* using soft
telecine (which I just fixed last night) rather than reencode.  Eg:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts
dvd:tsaf:tele_src=24000/1001:tele_dest=30000/1001 [etc]

Of course, I'm coming in int he middle of the conversation, so I
probably missed some reason why you already stated this isn't what you
want.

Monty