[MEncoder-users] Five inverse telecine filters to choose from -- four broken, one a little crazy

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Sep 26 22:06:19 CEST 2007

On 9/26/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:07 -0400
> "Christopher \"Monty\" Montgomery" <xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  The only inverse telecine filter that works is 'divtc' (although it
> > guesses wrong alot), which is slightly odd because the video is and
> > always was progressive.
>
> Telecine generates fields, not progressive frames.

Yes, but the video has been deinterlaced since.  What I have is, in
fact, fully progressive frames where one out of five is identical to
one of the other four (modulo encoding artifacts).

> If you've got something like an HDTV stream that is half-height, 60fps,
> then you can either try using tinterlace to reassemble it back into
> fields, or (more popularly) you can use decimate with the proper
> options to remove the duplicates.

Well, I already said what I have (30000/1001, 480x272, progressive,
divx, a re-encoding of an inconsistently telecined DVD).  A really
crappy thing to start with, but some turd polish is unfortunately
needed in this case.

Monty