[MEncoder-users] Mac Compatible Encode

Ross Clement rossclement at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:47:14 CEST 2007

Hi. I have some "instructional videos" that I've created. Basically they are
movies screen grabbed (moving pictures) from a computer screen while I
program, with myself giving a running commentary of what I'm doing. Last
year I published these to students as msmpeg4v2 files so that they would
play back on windows. I wasn't sure how I should encode them so that they
would play on macs.

Just right now when I'm burning DVDs for students will all my "teaching
stuff" on them, I find the following thread:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2006-June/003641.html

Quickly reencoding one of my mpeg4 avis with the following command:

#!/bin/bash
mencoder $1.avi -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:raw:br=128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=h264:vbitrate=1200:mbd=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:trell=yes:v4mv=yes:aic=2:vglobal=1:aglobal=1
-of lavf -lavfopts
format=mp4:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -o $1.mp4

gives me a movie file about the same size as the original avi. A quick test
shows that Quicktime on a mac can play it back, and it looks fine to me.

Any comments or recommendation about the options used there?

Cheers,

Ross-c