[MEncoder-users] No idea what I am doing...

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 22:32:12 CEST 2007

Greg Heywood wrote:

> OK. I still cannot find any local documentation. I have
> /usr/share/doc/mplayer, but can't seen any documentation in there.
> There is a /usr/share/man/man1/mplayer.1.gz, but when I open that,
> there is just a manplayer.1 file and it doesn't seem to be associated
> with anything. When I try and open it, there are no "available
> applications".

This is a man page; you don't need to unzip it to access it. The file
inside is plain text, but it is formatted in a way you probably don't
know how to read easily.

You access a man page with the 'man' command. For a man page named
'mplayer.1.gz' in the standard man-page search path, the command would
simply be

man mplayer

and your copy of the man program will find the file, format it correctly
for your current terminal size, and display it.

I have no idea what environment you are in which has *nix-style paths,
but tries to automatically associate files with programs to open them.
The correct way to interact with most files in an *nix environment,
including man pages, is from the command line.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.