[MEncoder-users] No idea what I am doing...

Greg Heywood gheywood at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:21:32 CEST 2007

I have a Hauppffagguuee (or however you spell it!) PVR-150 card, which
receives s-video from my Sky+ box (UK PVR service), and also audio via
composite.

Firstly, I wanted to be able to capture it. I can do this via:
cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg

And that works fine. It creates a file that I can view and hear.

Next I want to be able to do this for a window of time (say, 2 hours), and
also configure other options (I think the output from the Sky+ box is 16:9
but "cat" seems to do 4:3, can I change this?) as well as configuring the
quality of the capture. 1GB/hour would be nice.

Can anyone help?

I have been though the manual, but it is not detailed enough, or I am just
not familiar enough with the technology to get very far. So far, I "have
memcoder /dev/video0 -of mpeg -o encoded.mpg -endpos 20" but it just doesn't
seem to do anything...

Thanks