[MEncoder-users] Mencoder x264 encoding problem on Intel

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 19 01:52:24 CEST 2007

I use mencoder on Windows XP, using pre-built binaries found here (
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/mplayer/ ).
I have the following command line:

mencoder INPUT -aid 128 -chapter 1-1  -sws 9 -of lavf -lavfopts
format=psp -vf
pullup,softskip,crop=720:360:0:60,scale=480:-10,harddup,unsharp=l3x3:0.7
-ovc x264 -x264encopts
bitrate=552:global_header:partitions=all:trellis=1:vbv_maxrate=768:vbv_bufsize=2000:level_idc=30:threads=2:pass=1:turbo
-oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:object=2:br=128:raw -channels 2 -srate 48000
-ofps 24000/1001 -o OUTPUT

This works perfectly fine on every AMD machine I have tried - dual core,
single core, no matter, they all work.

This causes mencoder to crash (not just a crash on the commandline - a
Dr. Watson crash that wants to report back to Microsoft) on every Intel
machine I have tried - Quad Core Xeon, Core 2 Duo, Pentium 4 with
Hyperthreading. They all crash in exactly the same way. Mencoder does
its preliminary stuff, and crashes out on frame 0 every time.

I have tried all of the different celtic druid builds  for various PC
processors - they all exhibit the same behavior. Encoding using lavc
codecs works on these Intel machines, but the x264 encoding does not?

I'm not a programmer and I really don't where to start to build my own
compile of mencoder on these other processors, so my question is: a) can
someone suggest a build that the above command line will worth with for
Intel machines running Windows, or b) can you see something wrong with
that command line that I am just not seeing.

Things I have tried: different audio codec, different container format.
It works just fine if I change the video encoder details to lavc /
mpeg4, but thats kind of defeating the purpose. :)