[MEncoder-users] H264 encoding for PSP

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 16 21:33:31 CEST 2007

Ah, sorry, I had downloaded the manual a while ago to my HD so I could
access it more quickly:

*(no)globalheader*

Causes SPS and PPS to appear only once, at the beginning of the
bitstream (default: disabled). Some players, such as the Sony PSP,
require the use of this option. The default behavior causes SPS and PPS
to repeat prior to each IDR frame.

I see the new one online has your version of it. Updating now.

The global_header option at least makes a file that Quicktime will play.
The PSP is acting like it doesn't know what the video codec in the file
is. Here is my current command line:

mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 1-1 -af volume=6 /
-vf pullup,softskip,scale=480:272,harddup /
-oac faac -faacopts br=128:mpeg=4:object=2:raw /
-ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=650:global_header:threads=2 /
-of lavf -lavfopts format=psp -ofps 24000/1001 -o testpsp.mp4

Back to my original question - does anyone have a command line that works?