[MEncoder-users] Problem with source video

Ross Clement rossclement at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 23:56:04 CEST 2007

I've been trying to fix "juddering" problems with video encoded using
mencoder. I presumed that it was the options I was using to

However, I've taken a closer look at the original video from the DV camera
I'm using. It's a Panasonic 3CCD NVGS180. I would have expected it to be
fairly good quality. I'm downloading footage filmed on it using Adobe
Premiere, at work, as I don't have a working firewire port on any computer
at home.

The main problem I'm getting is double images and juddering movement. I had
a close look at some of the frames in the original movies.

I've noted on one page the recommendation that you have to be careful about
your source material or poor quality images will result. Here's an example
of my original DV (AVI container as created by Adobe Premiere) footage. You
can clearly see "double images" with very bad comb effects.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb288/annoyingtwit/?action=view&current=sshot.png

Does this prove that my original footage is bad, or are there playback
options for mplayer that can make this look better, and options for mencoder
that mean that these glitches will not be present in the reincoded video?