[MEncoder-users] encoding multimedia files to dvd video

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Sep 8 19:42:53 CEST 2007

Hi Dave,

On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 12:32:25 -0400, Dave wrote:

>     Thanks for your reply. The issue is i keep getting somewhat jerky video,
> like it jumps.

Do you see any reports of skipped frames during encoding?

> THe only addition was the -channels 6 which i hope will convert from
> stereo to 5.1 surround sound audio.

Not sure, sorry.

> The fps is right for ntsc, but aspect might not be, it is 16/9, in
> the below, isn't that for wide screen? Shouldn't that be 4:3?

Well, DVD supports display aspect ratios of 4:3 and 16:9, plus
consideration of whatever black content you add at the borders. If your
source material is neither exactly 4:3 nor 16:9, you will have to
expand and scale (-vf) appropriately (also considering that you
additionally need to stretch to 3:2 for 720x480) for it to display
correctly.

> And the abitrate option at 192, i've seen 224 and i believe 480 for 6
> channels, is 192 the correct value?

The audio bitrate influences the quality of encoding - and you are
definitely re-encoding audio here. Anything valid is "correct", it's
upto your ears to say it's sufficient. It depends on the quality you
expect (e.g. you might not notice the difference with low quality sound
on a mobile player). For two channel audio, 128k or 192k may be
sufficient for MP2, though I tend to choose more. I have no experience
with values for AC3 and multi-channel sound.

HTH,
Moritz