[MEncoder-users] encoding multimedia files to dvd video

Dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Fri Sep 7 03:01:44 CEST 2007

Hello,
    I hope this is the right place to ask this if not please redirect me
appropriately. I've got some multimedia files, some .avi, some .wmv, some
.mpg files that i'd like to encode in to ntsc-compliant dvd video so i can
play them on my standard dvd player. These video files are in a variety of
formats, pal mostly so i'm going to need to convert them, and ideally during
the conversion i'd like to take the audio from stereo to 5.1 surround sound.
I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 and i have installed from ports mplayer version
0.99.10_13, mencoder version 0.99.10, and ffmpeg ffmpeg-2007.07.12_3, in
addition to their dependencies. I've also got dvdauthor because i want to
make menus on this dvd so i can select what item to watch, but that's for
another list.
    I've had success though not made totally dvd compliant videos with the
following shell script wrappers:

makedvd original:
#!/bin/sh
mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd \
-vf scale=720:480,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=9800:keyint=15:aspect=4/3
 -ofps 25 -o Today1.mpg Today.avi

This one did not give me the surround sound, nor totally dvd compliant
video, i wanted aspect 4:3 for full screen and 30000/1001 or 24 can't
remember the other numbers for frame rate, so i dug a little more, reworked
it and came up with this script:

makedvd new:
#!/bin/sh
mencoder -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=384 \
-ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:telecine -ofps 24000/1001 \
-vf scale=720:480,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts
aspect=4/3 \
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=9800:keyint=15:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3
 -ofps 25 -o Today1.mpg Today.avi

this one still isn't right.
    Bottomline is i'm overwhelmed by all the various options in the man
pages, i understand that ntsc is 30000/1001 frames and that wide screen is a
different aspect ratio as opposed to full screen, the rest of it i am
overwhelmed on and would appreciate if someone who has done this could write
me.
    Not sure if this next paragraph goes here, if not please redirect.
During my googling i found encode2mpeg, a frontend, which further confused
me. I don't think i got it's options right at all, but here goes the
commandlines i used in case anyone has any input:

encode2mpeg -dvd -o title -n n inputfile -stdvid 9 -mpegchannels
6 -imageonly -normalize -usespeec -vfr 1 -p

should take an mpg or avi and convert it to dvd video as i want. It does not
produce compliant output.

encode2mpeg -dvd -o title -n n inputfile1 inputfile2 -stdvid 9 -mpegchannels
6 -imageonly -normalize -usespeed -menu

should take two or more files, encode them and make a dvd with menus.
    Any input on this subject is appreciated, i am frustrated and confused
by all the various options and outputs  i was under the impression this task
was not this difficult.
    Thanks.
Dave.