[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:45:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:34:44 -0600 (MDT)
Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Are you really saying that nr=300 improved PSNR?

Yes.  On a noisy DVD I tested, nr values up to 600 (using a bitrate of
approx 1200) increased PSNR, though it did start to get blocky at that
level.

> So scenes with little content but much noise will be allocated  lots
> of bits in 1pass nr, but not in 2pass nr nor 1pass hqdn3d.

If nothing else, nr always causes 1pass encoding to significantly
undershoot the bitrate specified.  While hqdn3d doesn't have any such
problem.

> hqdn3d doesn't have any block structure at all, so the only possible
> way  it could cause blocking is if your video was already blocky but
> hidden  behind all the noise, and hqdn3d just removed the noise.

Fair enough.  It does, however, also remove significant details from
the video, even at very low luma values, which really wouldn't filter
much noise.  All problems nr doesn't have.