[MEncoder-users] tv tuner card suggestions?

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Sep 6 18:39:06 CEST 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007 16:58, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:29:00AM -0500, Jeff Clagg wrote:
> > What's bad about this is that the relative lack of success of ATSC
> > adoption is keeping analog signals on the air, which uses a significant
> > amount of bandwidth in order to serve a tiny and dwindling userbase.
>
> This userbase is neither tiny now dwindling. Most people have no idea
> what digital TV is and certainly no need for it.

Last november, the Dutch government shut down all analog TV broadcast over
here. IIRC 30.000 households, mostly in rural areas, where forced to buy
digital receivers, get cable or get a dish if there was no coverage. The US
population is over 20 times larger and there's a lot more rural area I
suppose, so I wouldn't be surprised if 300-400k households are solely
dependent on analog broadcasts.

--Ivo