[MEncoder-users] tv tuner card suggestions

Jody Gugelhupf knueffle at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 15:31:27 CEST 2007

>>hi ppl :)
>>first of all thx for the many replies and the resulting, informative discussion about digital tv
>>etc. :)'btw i'm currently located in the netherlands, after reading the posts i think i will not
>>go for a usb solution, as these seem to be without any hardware encoding on the card, so would
>use
>>up my pc's cpu when i do recordings the way i understand, so i think i would go for the analogue
>>wintv-pvr 500, but i'm still also thinkin about digital cards, the way i understand, if i have a
>>digital tv card with one tuner and dvb-t or dvb-c, i can record 2 stations at the same time if
>>they are in the same stream, is this true? and i was wondering, as far as i know there are 4
>>channels in one stream in dvb-t, couldn't i then record all 4 stations with one digital tuner
card
>>at the same time? what is mencoder supporting? would that work? anybody any epxriences with
this?
>>any suggestions for good digital tv cards with 2 or more tuners?
>>thx in advance ppl :0
>>jody :D
>>

>first of all DON'T TOP POST!
>second, you are confusing things: there are multi-tuner cards, but
>not always you can record from all (or more than 1) of them at
>the same time: you have to read carefully the card's features to make sure.
>Example: Lifeview Duo and Trio have 2 analog and 1 or 2 digital tuners;
>they can record from one analog and one digital source at the same time,
>but not from 2 digital or 2 analog together.
>
>When recording digital TV (mpegts) you can record more than one program
>at the same time, but not with mencoder: mplayer can dump the whole TS
>(including many programs if you want) on a file, while dvbstream can also
>split the individual programs in single files

ok now i'm more confused again here a few question, so for analog stuff i use mencoder, right? and
how many stations can mencoder record simotenously with the below mentioned cards, i guess
dvbstream is for digital card (all forms T,S, and C?) and how many programs can i record with that
simulatenously? and you said:
"mplayer can dump the whole TS(including many programs if you want) on a file"
what do you exactly mean by that? sorry for all the noob question but many thx to all for the help
and info :) below the different cards/types i'm thinkgin about it
a) an analogue tv card like the wintvpvr 500 (i guess 2)
b) a digital card like the wintv nova-t
c) digital card for satelite wintv nova-s
d) digital card for cable dvb-c
and can people who have such cards, but only if the hardware encoder is included on the tv card,
so cpu is not used while recording, post working cards with linux please?

thx again
jody :)