[MEncoder-users] tv tuner card suggestions?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Sep 6 10:54:58 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 07:53:36PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:30:36PM -0700, Scott W. Larson wrote:
[...]
> > You can go to the AVS's HDTV Reception forum and do a search on threads
> > with "miles" and get dozens of reports of reliable reception from 40-50
> > miles away with a typical rooftop antenna. Indoor reception is typically
> > more like 20-30 miles, about what you would expect for decent analog
> > reception.
>
> I was asking about minimal analog reception as opposed to "decent
> analog reception".

I'd also note that at least PAL is much better at graceful degradation,
even if you really can't see anything at all on the screen you quite
often can still understand the audio just fine.
Though I think that part of the problem with digital TV is that even
really expensive receivers are still quite crappy IMO, there is a lot of
room for improvements both in reception quality and handling reception
errors - unfortunately I think the manufactures simply don't (and have
little reason to) care about the latter one.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger