[MEncoder-users] tv tuner card suggestions?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 6 00:41:55 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:19:42AM -0500, Jeff Clagg wrote:
> > Also the crappy signal degredation will
> > mean that many people who could receive analog TV (far from the
> > station) will be unable to get digital TV at all.
>
> In almost all cases it's exactly the other way around. All else being
> equal, the digital reception will be nearly perfect even when the analog
> signal is unwatchable.

Show me reports of someone receiving digital TV from 70-90 miles
(113-145 km) without a special rooftop aerial and then maybe I'll
believe this. I'm talking about situations where the SNR is utterly
atrocious, signal maybe 1/5 or even 1/10 the magnitude of the noise,
but you're still able to make out a picture and see what's happening.
IMO (from a theoretical standpoint; untested) there's no way you'll be
able to do that with a digital signal carrying compressed video.

> Besides this, most viewers in the US have access to digital cable. Cable
> companies usually provide at least a few channels of digital cable in
> the clear, although it's sort of a niche market that actually cares
> about this (e.g., MythTV users).

Yes, lovely, more benefit for the (#*)%(# cable companies....

Rich