[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Wed Sep 5 22:36:13 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:45:03AM -0700, Phil Ehrens wrote:
> RC wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:08:40 -0700
> > Phil Ehrens <phil at slug.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Eek! nr=300?! Alright, I admit it... I reported the same thing
> > > once (or twice). If the source genuinely has significant gaussian
> > > noise, nr=300 can perform miracles... HOWEVER, if you are starting
> > > with good clean source (like a well-made dvd), nr=10 to nr=30 is
> > > more realistic.
> >
> > Almost every DVD I've seen has significant noise, and nr=300 helps a
> > lot (and I've done several visual and PSNR tests to demonstrate that).
> > That even goes for the newest digitally-recorded films. The few DVDs
> > that don't have noise really stand out as unusually clear (appearing
> > almost fake or cartoon-like), and in most cases, was a direct result of
> > heavily denoising before encoding.
>
> Maybe we are at odds here because of target bitrate? I can see
> where nr=300 might be a typical setting if the target bitrate
> is 600-800 kbps. Using nr=10 would be practically pointless
> at those bitrates. Ah well, that's the danger of recommending
> values for things like this... Too many independent variables.

So maybe the question to be asked is what I should expect from xvid, lavc from
a mpeg-2 video recorder source.  If I start with a 50Mb file that is shot
around the house, sometimes inside sometimes outside, what sort of file size
would you expect to see (guestimate), from my simple trials I have done, the
bitrate I am looking at is ~ 2000 and I will end up with a file size that is
approx 50% the size.  the other bitrates do produce smaller files, but I get
lots of artifacts - especially around lots of solid colour like white walls etc

[snip]