[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Sep 5 01:08:40 CEST 2007

Alex Samad wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 03:52:30PM -0700, Andreas wrote:
> > Le Montag, 3. September 2007, RC a écrit :

> > > xvid's defaults are okay.  With lavc, there are no defaults, and you'll
> > > absolutely need mbd=2:trell and very likely also v4mv:mpeg_quant.  I
> > > personally suggest nr=300 or thereabouts on most any videos.   More

Eek! nr=300?! Alright, I admit it... I reported the same thing
once (or twice). If the source genuinely has significant gaussian
noise, nr=300 can perform miracles... HOWEVER, if you are starting
with good clean source (like a well-made dvd), nr=10 to nr=30 is
more realistic. If your source is clean TV capture with a bitrate
of 900kbps-1200kbps, 50-250 is a range worth exploring.

These numbers are for 2-pass encodes. If you are doing single-pass
encodes, hqdn3d will behave much more sanely than nr. But if you
are doing multi-pass, nr will be better on all live action. Anime
seems to really love hqdn3d, however.