[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Andreas linuxdreas at dslextreme.com
Wed Sep 5 00:52:30 CEST 2007

Le Montag, 3. September 2007, RC a écrit :
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:07:27 -0700
>
> Andreas <linuxdreas at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> > Is there something like a "one-size-fits-all" encoding option for
> > either xvid or lavc to get good results from the source?
>
> xvid's defaults are okay.  With lavc, there are no defaults, and you'll
> absolutely need mbd=2:trell and very likely also v4mv:mpeg_quant.  I
> personally suggest nr=300 or thereabouts on most any videos.   More
> than that, the options are a question of trying to get the best quality,
> in the least space (without introducing other artifacts).  If you don't
> mind increasing bitrate, you can still do just fine, without
> even understanding the encoding options.
>
> > Or it not that,  maybe some webpage that explains the different
> > encoder options? I totally  get lost just by reading mplayer's manpage
> > and html documentation.
>
> Section 14.3.3 in the html docs has a perfectly simple run-down
> of most of the options.  I disagree with it slightly, but in any case,
> I don't think they can be explained any more basically than that.

Thanks you very much,  RC. I must have simply overlooked that chapter (or,
actually, given up after reading through the xvid options ;)).  Now, having
read it a couple of times and using the man page for cross-reference, I
kind of get the hang of it. Is there anything I should observe for
interlaced content though?

--
Gruß
Andreas