[MEncoder-users] how to split 8gb wmv bluray wmv file (VC-1 codec)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 20:16:59 CET 2007

On 10/31/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:36:40 +0100
> "Valent Turkovic" <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -o ./Part1.wmv -endpos 01:00:00
> > ./bluray_full_movie.wmv
>
> You can name it .wmv or anything else you want to, but you're still
> creating an AVI file.  Mencoder even tells you so.

Oh, I wasn't aware.

> > 40 duplicate frame(s)!
> > Pos:  86.2s   2066f (69%) 749.91fps Trem:   0min 110mb  A-V:0.000
> > [7374:0] 41 duplicate frame(s)!
> > Pos:  86.2s   2067f (69%) 750.00fps Trem:   0min 110mb  A-V:0.000
> > [7376:0] 41 duplicate frame(s)!
>
> You should be happy it fails.  You're creating incredibly non-standard
> and probably corrupt files, that almost nothing will be able to play.
>
> At the very least, you're going to need to set -ofps to something
> _sane_.  But really, you should find something else to split wmv files.
> Mencoder can certainly do it, but not well at all. It should be trivial
> for a simple program that understands WMV to split files.

I wanted some simple program to split wmv file but is there some under
linux? My googling only pointed to mencoder, I didn't find any other
utility to do this... but maybe I was using wrong key words. Can you
suggest some good utility to split wmv files?

I was so desperate that I also tried running few freeware and
shareware from windows under wine but they all failed... I'm not sure
because they are crap of because of running under wine.

Any suggestion is helpful so please don't hold back any info you have.

Thank you in advance,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/