[MEncoder-users] Generating switchable binary subtitles with MEncoder

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Oct 29 17:12:46 CET 2007

L'octidi 8 brumaire, an CCXVI, Giacomo Comes a écrit :
> spumux (part of dvdauthor) is able to convert text subtitles to spu format
> since forever. After uou have them in spu format you can extract them to
> vobsub format if you like.

I mentioned spumux, but I also mentioned that it does not handle font
subtleties: you can not have italic, for example.

> Well actually ALL dvd subtitles uses the alpha channel because the region
> surrounding the subtitle text is transparent.
> Otherwise you would see a rectangle of some opaque color surrounding the
> subtitle text.

I know, that is the reason I wrote "non-trivial alpha channel": the DVD use
only opaque black, opaque white and completely transparent. It is possible
to have half-transparent black, which gives a nice anti-aliasing for
example.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George