[MEncoder-users] Usage of -ofps

=?utf-8?Q?Bj=F6rn?= Nadrowski bjoern.nadrowski at uni-koeln.de
Sun Oct 21 18:51:46 CEST 2007

Hello,
I would like to ask a question concerning the use of -ofps

Let's suppose I want to prepare a movie for my nokia e90's
internal realplayer.
In order to do this, I use the following commands:

V_BITRATE=800
X_SCALE=640
Y_SCALE=352
V_NAME=film.avi
BASENAME=`echo ${V_NAME} | cut --delimiter='.' --fields=1`

mencoder -ofps $FPS -o temppi.m4v -of rawvideo \
		    -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=${V_BITRATE}:threads=2 \
		    -vf lavcdeint,scale=${X_SCALE}:${Y_SCALE} -lavdopts threads=2 \
		    ${V_NAME}

mplayer -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:fast ${V_NAME}
faac --mpeg-vers 4 audiodump.wav

MP4Box -new -add temppi.m4v -add audiodump.aac -fps $FPS \
   -brand mp42 -isma ${BASENAME}${1}-${V_BITRATE}-${FPS}-${X_SCALE}.mp4

Audio is always fine and faac results into an audio track which has a duration of
2597.2 seconds, which is only 0.1 seconds longer than the film
(deduced using mplayer -v:)
==> Found video stream: 0
====== STREAM Header =====
Type: vids   FCC: xvid (64697678)
Flags: 0
InitialFrames: 0
Rate: 24000/1001 = 23.976
Start: 0   Len: 62269
Suggested BufferSize: 90898
Quality 10000
Sample size: 0
==========================
and
62269/23.976=2597.13880547214

Now, above commands seem ok for values of FPS < 23;
for this range of values, the length of the video matches closely the length
of the audio track.
However, when approaching FPS=24, the video becomes shorter and shorter,
leading to very substantial audio/video desync, for extreme values, the video
even plays back in a visibly accelerated speed.

Is this the expected behavior?
I have no idea where this comes from , and would like to know the commands which
allow me to specify the FPS value I want (well, it would be sufficient to
know the commands which allow encoding without audio/video desyncing; but not using
ofps and FPS at all does not resolve the problems, in this case, the video is 10 minutes
shorter than the original one...)

I attach a list of FPS - Duration values,
which I obtained for a series of encodings using different values of FPS and
I extracted the duration of the movie using
MP4Box -info film.mp4

I also attach a figure which displays this curious behavior.

THanks for any help, Bjoern

#FPS   Duration
10.0	2597.2
10.5	2597.14