[MEncoder-users] Default FOURCC for MPEG-2?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 01:01:27 CEST 2007

Hello RC!

> mpg2.  Simply reading the output of MPlayer playing a file should tell
> you that.

The bracket, where it tells you the fourcc, was empty (in mplayer output).
That's when I figured out that I had manually set the fourcc. But thanks for
confirming that mpg2 is the one.

> Either add mp2v to codecs.conf or add to the command-line:  -vc
> +ffmpeg12

Roger that.

> I don't see why you care, though.  You really shouldn't distribute AVI
> files with MPEG-1/2 video, as practically nobody will be able to play
> it.  MPEG-1/2 in an mpeg container will also have less overhead.

I see yourpoint.  I just did a test right now using (-of mpeg) and the index
is perfect and it plays on both players.  This is the way to go (mpg
container for MPEG-2). Thanks for the hint!

> -forceidx.  You can use it with oac/ovc copy to create a new file with
> an index.

Forgot that one.

> An entirely different issue, and you've provided no info that would
> allow anyone to help you.

Sorry. I looked like a newbie there!  I have no problems using the mpg
container now.

As always, thanks RC for your time!

All the best,
Jorge