[MEncoder-users] update how to?

JonY 10walls at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 03:58:04 CEST 2007

Nicolas Hesler wrote:
> Is someone able to update the mingw how to?
>
> http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/contrib/MPlayer-MinGW-Howto.txt

Hi,

I'm not a very good writer, so I'll just post the list of changes. If
nobody writes it, then I'll write the new howto soon. The changes
assumes that a recent and up to date mingw environment is used.

Should I use tabs to align the text? Sorry, I'm quite new here.

Changes:

* MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe	-->	MinGW-5.1.3.exe

* Update buggy MSYS bash:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82724&release_id=158862
or
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/bash-3.1-MSYS-1.0.11-snapshot.tar.bz2

* Update MingW binutils (for MPlayer CPU auto-detection):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=11290&release_id=530225
or
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz

* Directx headers no longer required, provided with w32api, version 3.10
as of writing.

* When installing packages, use --prefix=/mingw instead of
--prefix=c:/mingw, there is no guarantee user will install mingw at
C:\MinGW. Also, all --prefix should be checked for consistency.

* Allow users to choose between static build or shared build. Add
--disable-shared to configure for static build. Some packages need
LDFLAGS=-no-undefined if they use older versions of libtool, not sure
which one.

* libogg and libvorbis may be redundant, MPlayer prefers built-in
tremor, but is still needed if user wants to use libtheora.

* All packages installed with install with ./configure --prefix=/mingw
unless stated otherwise.

* libogg-1.1.2		-->	libogg-1.1.3

* sys/types.h and stdint.h may need to be added to ogg/ogg.h if
libtheora is to compile properly.

* libvorbis-1.1.1 	-->	libvorbis-1.2.0
* libtheora-1.0alpha4	--> 	libtheora-1.0alpha7
* libiconv-1.9.1	--> 	libiconv-1.11
* freetype-2.1.9	-->	freetype-2.3.5
* zlib-1.2.1		--> 	zlib-1.2.3
* libpng-1.2.8		-->	libpng-1.2.16

* suggest using libungif-4.1.4 to replace libregif-4.1.6
http://armory.nicewarrior.org/projects/libregif/ is mostly dead and full
of broken links.
Libregif is obtainable from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102202

* nasm-0.98.38		-->	nasm-0.98.39
nasm optional but needed to assemble some files from xvid and possibly
lame. It is possible to build them without nasm.

* xvidcore-1.0.3 	-->	xvidcore-1.1.3
* lame-3.96.1		-->	lame-3.97
lame did does not install lame.h, create a folder called lame in the
mingw include folder and place lame.h there.

* Older Howto tells user to use pthreads fot x264 but did not mention
how to obtain or install them.

Obtainable from: ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/sources

Build with "make clean GC".
Install by copying sched.h, pthread.h and semaphore.h to mingw include
folder, libpthreadGC.a copied to mingw lib folder as libpthread.a so
x264 can find them later. Copy pthreadGC2.dll to mingw bin folder.

I heard older dlltool tends to produce dlls with the image base of
0x10000000, causing conflicts with other dlls, can someone confirm this?
Mine doesn't.

* Warn user to use Command Prompt instead of MSYS while using binaries
from tigris to do x264 checkout. It is known to "hang", well actually
the text doesn't get flushed to MSYS bash properly.

* Installing x264 section unchanged.

* live.com now owned by Microsoft. Moved to:
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/

* Tell users to remove --enable-static if they want to use dlls.

* Use svn to checkout MPlayer instead of cvs.
Use svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer

Thats a lot of changes. I hope I won't get bashed for suggesting shared
libraries.