[MEncoder-users] conversion for quicktime 7 - docs

Kovacs Baldvin baldvin at cs.elte.hu
Sun Oct 14 14:52:18 CEST 2007

Dear All,

I have spent the whole day and night yesterday trying to create
a 1 minute movie that plays nice and well for QuickTime users.
I have found in official (Hungarian) mencoder docs a complex method:

mencoder -> h264 avi
mplayer dump -> h264 raw
mp4creator create -> .mp4
mp4creator hind and optimize steps

This resulted in a working .mp4 file, with one (big) problem: when
QuickTime loaded the file, it didn't show the first frame, rather it
showed a black screen, and one needed to click Play in order the picture
to appear. Then I found on the net a very good solution, which was pure
and simple, and, after ~16 hours of struggling with other methods,
gave me a perfect result in minutes:

mencoder original.avi \
         -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf-add harddup -nosound \
         -of rawvideo -o video-track.m4v

MP4Box -add video-track.m4v -fps 10 result.mp4

I would suggest to include this in the official mencoder man page and
web documentation, not just the mp4creator solution. If somebody tells
me how can I help (should I send a patch to the docs?), I'll happily try
to contribute that way.

Best regards,
Baldvin Kovacs