[MEncoder-users] Garbled sound while transcoding a video

Akshat Aranya aaranya at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 03:25:19 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use mencoder on Ubuntu Feisty to transcode videos. The
video gets transformed OK but the audio is completely garbled. This
happens no matter what kind of audio output I choose -- I've tried
faac and mp3lame. The only way the audio is okay is if I just use the
"-oac copy" option. Also, it does not matter what kind of video I try
to transcode. Here's the command line that I'm using:

mencoder a.avi -o b.avi -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
vbr=0;br=96 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec:mpeg4:vbitrate=96 -vf-add crop
586:352 -vf=add scale=240:144 -ofps 12.5 -ffourcc DIVX -noidx
-force-avi-aspect 1.6666667

mencoder version 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu9
liblame0 version 3.96.1-2ubuntu1

This problem is only happening on one of my machines.  I have another
machine that is also running Feisty and it is able to transcode
properly with the same parameters.

Any ideas?