[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 04:03:26 CEST 2007

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:53:38 -0500
James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:

> You can't buy CRT tvs anymore, at least not around here.

I find that extremely hard to believe.  The big expensive LCDs and
Plasmas may be most prominently displayed, but CRTs aren't going away
for a long time.  Direct-view CRT is the least expensive technology that
can do HD, and CRT tubes remain the best (and least expensive)
technology for projection TVs.  CRTs are still the most popular tech
for new TVs here in the US.

> I'm of the opinion that interlaced video should go the way of the dodo
> bird - it has outlived its welcome.

I'd be happy to get rid of it too, but with 1080i being the highest
standard resolution for broadcast HD, it's clearly going to stay around
for a very long time.