[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 9 00:53:38 CEST 2007

Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> If my assumptions and not your search results are correct ;-), leaving
> interlaced to be interlaced is best, because that's what your TV's
> display is doing anyway. (Okay, nowaday, CRTs are getting rare, and your
> LCD/TFT/Plasma may be all progressive after all.) I don't see the point
> of deinterlacing, just to have the player revert the signal to
> interlaced.
You can't buy CRT tvs anymore, at least not around here. The LCD/Plasma
sets you can buy all have to deinterlace any analog signal you feed them
because they are scaling the image up to fit a finite resolution panel.
This gives analog video a very unpleasant (in my opinion) over-processed
look on such sets. Yet, large amounts of TV programming, and commercials
are still produced as interlaced video (I know, I work in advertising,
and I routinely have to "deinterlace" the  advertising samples for use
in other formats like for the web or in presentations), even though it
is the extremely rare new TV set that even displays an interlaced image
at all.

I'm of the opinion that interlaced video should go the way of the dodo
bird - it has outlived its welcome.