[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Mon Oct 8 09:34:11 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I wrote my first-ever DVD (encoded with mencoder) this past weekend, quite
chuffed!

Most of the source is interlaced PAL handicam material, which is handled
very well by mencoder given the right options. However, over the weekend I
saw on wikipedia and other sources that the output of most standalone DVD
players is progressive. Certainly the component video output which I'm using
seems to be progressive output, and only some scarce and strange RGB-type
connectors provide interlaced output if I remember correctly.

Is that true? If so, deinterlacing will either happen in mencoder by choice
and in controlled fashion, and/or by force in the player. Can I please have
some logical, unemotive ;-) answers to: is there then *any* point to
preserving deinterlacing when the target is DVD?

Thanks so much,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html