[MEncoder-users] Product suggestion: Encode Decision List

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 23:48:09 CEST 2007

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:22:10 +0200
Francois Visagie <fvisagie at za.spescom.com> wrote:

> Here's one background example. If a movie contains both progressive as
> well as interlaced content, you generally have three choices:
>
> 1) encode as if it's all progressive if you don't worry too much about
> best representation of interlaced content
> 2) encode as if it's all interlaced if you don't worry too much about
> best representation of progressive content
> 3) if you are concerned about best quality, split the file at each
> content type boundary, encode each segment separately and then
> recombine

A good deinterlacer, like yadif and pp=lb, shouldn't have noticable
(negative) effects on progressive video, so I don't see this as much of
an issue.

The same is true for some ivtc filters (namely: pullup).

> The same kind of quality/hassle trade-offs exist for content mixed by
> any characteristic: frame rate, resolution, even colour depth, etc.

Mencoder doesn't really support outputting different frame-rates, and I
haven't yet seen videos that change color depth.