[MEncoder-users] incorrect bitrate/filesize when transcoding mkv to mpeg2 pulldown/film2pal

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:43:44 CET 2007

Andrew McKernan wrote:

> I'm an ffmpeg who's just started to use mencoder to transcode the excellent hd
> mkv 23.976fps files for dvd authoring.
>
> Typical batch file is:
> mencoder "Heroes S02E08.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv" -of mpeg -vf
> scale=720:576,harddup -channels 6 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> acodec=ac3:abitrate=384:vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=8000 -mpegopts
> format=dvd:film2pal:vaspect=16/9 -noskip -srate 48000 -ofps 24000/1001 -
> o "Heroes S02E08.mencoder.pal.mpg"
>
> This produces a file which plays very well using a PC DVD player.
> However, when I try to load the mpg file into TMPGenc DVD Author 2 I get a
> message like:
> "The video bitrate 104857 Kbps exceeds the MP at ML standard."
> Also:
> "The DVD-Video standard does not accept MPEG-2 with a VBV buffer size of 278
> KByte"

You have to set -lavcopts vrc_buf_size=1835 to be DVD compliant. I don't think
that you need such a high bitrate as 8000, but you also need to set vrc_maxrate
(the maximum is 9600 or 9800 - I don't remember which), and keyint. There is
a section in the MPlayer HTML documentation devoted to making DVD, VCD, etc.

> TMPGEnc MPEG Editor accepts the file as input but tries to create and output
> file 20x bigger than necessary.

Not that it's relevant, but why do you say that the file is 20x bigger than necessary?