[MEncoder-users] Backup policies

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 26 13:28:55 CET 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Peter Cordes wrote:

> OTOH, some guides I've seen say that some options don't really work with
> crf, e.g. trellis=1.  (Also, some say that trellis and dct_decimate don't
> work well together, so I usually use trellis=1:no_dct_decimate).

They're just wrong. If they're wikis, please provide a link so that I can
fix them. If they're not wikis, please provide a link so that I can flame
the authors.
I'm not sure how the rumor started, unless it has something to do with the
previous rumor that xvid's trellis is harmful with CQ. Which is both wrong
in that it was due to incorrect measurements the benefits of trellis, and
wrong in that it assumes x264 is the same.

--Loren Merritt