[MEncoder-users] Backup policies

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:44:31 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:02:20 -0600
James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:

> If I aim for a  2Gb file (because that is the max size that will fit
> in my devices'  storage), and it under-requisitions and ends up giving
> me a 1.8Gb file,  then I can reasonably assume that there are some
> scenes in that file  that could have been encoded at a higher quality,

> What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that some situations don't have a specific
filesize quota.  Let's say I have a 500GB hard drive, and I just store
all my movies on there.  The smallest video size, at an acceptible
level of visual quality, is ideal.  That is where 1-pass with CRF does
quite well.  The "buffer" issue is just about improving 1-pass quality
slightly (vs. slower 2-pass).

This isn't the same situation, as with MPEG-1/2/4 and most other codecs.
 A particular quantization level doesn't necessarily represent a
consistent level of visual quality...  CRF does.