[MEncoder-users] Backup policies

Ross Clement rossclement at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:18:09 CET 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 12:10 PM, Michael Rozdoba <mroz at ukgateway.net> wrote:
> I should point out I don't encode with x264 using MEncoder, but others
> around here must. There's certainly plenty of info around re config options.

Thanks. I might install x264 itself, if I don't have it already.

> Good luck. I've always found quicktime to be so restrictive of codec
> features & generally unpleasant that I don't touch it, but to be fair I
> haven't looked closely in years.

The video content I create is split half between work stuff (e.g.
training videos for my students) and home stuff (general family
video). For the work stuff I initially tried to provide videos that
were suitable for both Windows Media Player and Quicktime (a lot of
our students have Macs). After a short period of pulling my hair out
(e.g. bash scripts that worked for small (width, height) videos but
not for larger ones), I issued a blanket statement that VLC is the
official video player for all of my modules, and had it installed on
all machines used in my teaching lab. In some cases, I only got
through things because I'd fortunately asked for mplayer.exe to be
installed somewhere "just in case". I assure you all that nobody here
would want to hear the unprofessional language I used to describe
Windows Media Player during this episode.

But I do need to load video into ProTools. At present I prepare
ProTools compatible video by first rencoding my video into an AVI with
dv format video. I burn that onto a DVD, and put it in a Mac, import
into IMovie, and export as quicktime. Quicktime wouldn't even play my
DVD compatible mpegs. But a reliable bash script to create quicktime
compatible files would be useful. The official documentation uses
mp4creator, which wouldn't compile on my machine.

> > MP4Box -add "$1.264" -new "$2"
> > MP4Box -add "$1.aac" "$2"
>
> Does this work for non 25fps material? I might be wrong but I thought
> when mp4box is given .264 input (rather than .mp4), it needs to be told
> the framerate.

I don't know. I only installed MP4Box this morning and have only
converted one file. And it was already 25fps. I'll experiment with
some 30fps content from my still camera when I get home.

> In case it's of any use, this is what I often use when encoding with
> x264 under Windows (I imagine you might need to translate options):

I'm sure I'll be able to steal many of your option settings and reuse
them. Particularly if I install or have x264.

Cheers,

Ross