[MEncoder-users] No audio in captured files

Adrian adrian at aeolian.org.uk
Sun Nov 4 19:50:04 CET 2007

On 4/11/2007, "Moritz Barsnick" <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:
>Are you sure you're hearing mplayer decode the PCM audio, and not a
>hard loop via the mixer to your speakers? Those are two different
>paths.
No I wasn't hearing mplayer doing anything, it just started the TV card.
 The TV card was outputting sound, the sound card was getting it, I
could record the sound (only) using another app.
But going through your detailed info, I realized that, as you said, I
shouldn't be using a device name with alsa, but a hardware number.

Now changed adevice in the conf file to hw=0,0 and it WORKS at last!

I have two soundcards so now I have to work out how to give the right hw
number as they get numbered in random order on bootup.  But this is
documented in the alsa wiki so I won't bother people here unless I'm
really stuck

>Hope this helps, since I went through the same pain. :)
It did indeed, thanks for sharing.

Regards
Adrian