[MEncoder-users] settings to convert ATSC HDTV 1080i30 to 720p24

Scott Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Thu May 31 03:48:28 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 13:33 -0400, Justin Randall wrote:
> Does anybody have a good approach to convert 1080i content to
> progressive?

Unfortunately there's no good approach. It depends greatly on how badly
your station is reencoding the network feed.

The filter that I've found works best generally is
"filmdint=dint_thres=256/comb_thres=280/sad_thres=1180". For some reason
this causes green garbage on the top line unless you change NUM_STORED
in libmpcodecs/vf_filmdint.c from 4 to 15. I don't know why that fixes
it. It's clearly not the correct solution for whatever the problem is.

If your station is really ruining the feed, I've found no filter will be
able to make sense of it enough to pull a progressive sequence out of
it, so you'll have no choice but to deinterlace all the frames, extract
24 fps with filmdint, and hope for the best.