[MEncoder-users] A/V sync problems when encoding to mpeg2 DVD compatible file [hope this is better readable]

Meneer Jansen meneerjansen00 at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 22:56:40 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 21:51 +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Jansen wrote:
>
> >I did read the man page/internet documentation of mplayer/mencoder.
> >That's how I came up with the mencoder command. ;) But it is quite
> >difficult reading material for me (I'm not native English and only a
> >humble computer enthousiast). Hence my request for help....
> >
> >-harddup: is a video filter. If I'm not mistaken it can not be used when
> >multipexing.
> >

> ?? what makes you believe it?
>
> >I should have used that option while capturing my video
> >from TV. Too late to use it now. Same goes for the -noskip option. By
> >the way, the -noskip option used to be in the command that I used to
> >capture TV: that resulted in A/V de-synchronization before re-muxing.
> >
> >-mc 0 does not work either...
> >

> let alone -mc and -noskip and start with the basic stuff.
> Mencoder makes crazy things to keep sync, but most of the time
> it works, even with -of mpeg
>
> >I beleive that all these options do not let frames be skipped so that
> >formats like mpeg will not loose a/v synch when (re-)multiplexing. They
> >should be used on beforehand. Is there anything I can use to properly
> >code/multplex the file that I have now? The bit that I recorded from TV
> >is quite important for me.
> >

> don't top post.

Well, I tried -of mpeg. Any ideas on command line options to use to keep
the a/v synch? I swear that I used to be able to convert these pcm/m2v
files to dvd without problems.... And if I don't use any extra options,
just simply:

mencoder "INPUT_FILE.MPG" -o "OUTPUT_FILE.MPG" -ovc copy -oac lavc
-lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224

the file is still in perfect sync. Strange isn't it? The problem seems
to lie in converting it into the mpeg (i.e. DVD) format.