[MEncoder-users] A/V sync problems when encoding to mpeg2 DVD compatible file [hope this is better readable]

Jansen meneerjansen00 at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 18:12:38 CEST 2007

This is the same email as the one before. Somehow hotmail/live mail
totally messes up the hard returns in an email.... Trying Evolution
now... Sorry, sorry.

Dear fellow MEncoder fans,

I always record TV with MEncoder. I allways record to a file that has
the video in mpeg2 video and the audio as PCM. This is because my
computer is not fast enough to encode audio AND video on the fly at the
same time. I use a command like:

mencoder\
-tv
driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:alsa:adevice=hw.0,0:amode=1:outfmt=yuy2:width=720:height=576:fps=25:audiorate=48000:freq=203.25\
-o "output_file.mpg"\
-oac pcm\
-ovc lavc\
-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=6000:keyint=15:aspect=1.3333\
tv://

This results in a *perfectly* audio/video synchronized file, which plays
just fine in Xine or Mplayer. When I want to convert it to a DVD
compatible mpeg2 file (to burn it to DVD) id do the following. I encode
the audio to mp2, stream-copy the video and set the file-format to
"mpeg". I used to use a command like:

mencoder\
"INPUT_FILE.MPG" -o "OUTPUT_FILE.MPG"\
-oac lavc -ovc copy\-lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224\
-of mpeg

That command used to result in an mpeg2 file that I could author and
burn to a DVD, and which was in perfect sync. If I played that file in
Xine or Mplayer the total duration that showed up in the
on-screen-display was too short, but otherwise it played just fine. But
now all of a sudden (mplayer upgrade?) it does not work anymore. That
command produces a load of errors and a file that is out of synch. The
audio gradually gets out of synch during the recording.So now I use:

mencoder "INPUT_FILE.MPG" -o "OUTPUT_FILE.MPG"\
-ovc copy\
-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224\
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd

It produces no errors, but that does not help (not even with
"-forceidx"). Total time too short and Audio/Video is still out of
synch. Help!

Best regards, Jansen.

P.S. I do not know exactly where to "view" my post on the internet. I
hope I will receive email....